SdKfz 231 (6-Rad) (x2)
with two SdKfz 231 (6-Rad) armoured cars.
The development of an armoured car that utilised the 6 x 4 truck chassis was ordered as early as 1929, with three companies being awarded contracts to design the vehicle. These primitive designs were little more than an armoured superstructure fitted to a modified truck chassis.
The Sd Kfz 231 (6-Rad) as it was designated first appeared in 1932 and featured a front mounted engine that drove the rear axles with the front set of axles providing the steering. This setup allowed a top road speed of 37mph.
Manned by a crew of four and protected by up to 8mm of armour plate, the Sd Kfz 231 (6-Rad) was armed with a 2cm KwK30 L/55 cannon and single 7.92cm MG13. Mounted is a turret at the rear of the vehicle, these weapons enjoyed a 360° traverse.
Other variants of the Sd Kfz 231 (6-Rad) included the Sd Kfz 232 (6-Rad) (Fu) which was identical but for the prominent bedstead frame aerial on top of the vehicle. The Sd Kfz 263 was a command vehicle and resembled the Sd Kfz 262 but was only armed with a single machine-gun in a fixed mount and carried a crew of five.
Regarded as a stop-gap measure, the Sd Kfz 231 (6-Rad) served during the campaigns in Poland and France before being withdrawn from frontline service. The remaining vehicles saw service behind the lines and in occupied countries.