SdKfz 223 (radio)
Leichte Panzerspähwagen (Funk) SdKfz 223
In 1935 the first prototypes for a light armoured reconnaissance 4x4 vehicle were introduced . The Sd Kfz 221 was a standard four wheel armoured car used for reconnaissance duties.
For long distance communications the Sd Kfz 223 was developed.
It was the same vehicle fitted with a more powerful radio (and frame antenna) over the machine-gun turret, and was designated Sd Kfz 223. It was produced up until early 1944, production ceasing in favour of half-tracked radio vehicles. Between 1935 and 1944, 550 Sd Kfz 223 were produced.
The Sd Kfz 223 was armed with a 7.92 mm machine gun. Armour consisted of 8mm of moderately sloped homogeneous steel armour on the front and sides, with thinner 5mm plates on the top, bottom, and rear.
The Sd Kfz 223 was powered by a 90 horsepower (67 kW) Horch 3.5 litre engine, giving it a road speed of 80km/h, cross-country speed of 40km/h, and maximum range of 300km.
In Flames Of War
The Sd Kfz 223 was used as the command and communication vehicle in Armoured Car Patrols of Sd Kfz 221 and 222s.
Armoured Car Patrols are reconnaissance platoons and may use the Reconnaissance rules in the Flames Of War rulebook to avoid enemy fire.