Mortar Platoon (Early War)
with four mortars with crew, Observer team & Command Rifle team.
Almost every mortar used by every nation in the Second World War (and since) was essentially derived from the outstanding Brandt mle 27/31 (introduced in 1927 and updated in 1931) mortar. Even its 81.4mm calibre became the European standard used by both Allied and Axis forces. As befits their elite status, the motorised infantry have full batteries of four mortars in their machine-guns and support weapons squadron. This gives the infantry its own artillery battery to silence enemy machine-guns and anti-tank weapons as the infantry attacks.