Pz Fgst IV/3, Flakpanzer IV/2cm Vierling
The Wirbelwind (Whirlwind) was the second production vehicle to mount an anti-aircraft gun on the chassis of the Panzer IV tank. It was designed to satisfy a need for a Flakpanzer with an armoured turret, twin guns, and the capacity to engage targets at ranges of under 2,000 meters. The first Flakpanzer based on the Panzer IV, the Möbelwagen, lacked both a turret and the twin guns.
A prototype Wirbelwind was ready by May 1944, when General Heinz Guderian, inspected a display of all current anti-aircraft tanks. The simple design and speed with which the Wirbelwind could begin production convinced Guderian to order production.
The Wirbelwind went further that the specified twin guns and carried a quadruple 2cm Flakvierling 39 gun. It was mounted in a angular open topped turret. The gunner sat behind the gun, while one loader was placed on each side, with responsibility for two of the four guns.
As with the Möbelwagen, the Wirbelwind was issued to the Flugabwehrzug, or anti-aircraft platoons of the Panzer regiments in the Panzer divisions.
Number produced: 86 to 105
Produced: July-November 1944
Hull Width: 2.9m
Weight: 22 tons
Engine: Maybach HL120TRM
Max Speed: 38km/hr
Max Range: 200km
Armament: One 2cm Flakvierling 38 one 7.92mm MG34
Armour: 10mm to 80mm
Wirbelwinds can be fielded in a German Panzerkampfgruppe from Grey Wolf to protect your panzers.