Mortar Platoon (Indian)
Like much of the British Empire forces in WWII, the Indian’s medium support mortar was the 3” Mortar. The British 3” Mortar was a further development of the Stokes Trench Mortar used with great success during WWI. After a brief period of being replaced in the field in the 1920s by the 3.7” pack howitzer in the support role, the cost and manpower benefits of a mortar won out, and the mortar was re-instated.
Post World War One mortars all owe their basic design to the Stokes, and its direct descendent was no different.
It fired a fin-stabilised bomb by means of a charge in the tail of the projectile. It was fired by dropping the bomb down the tube, the primer was struck setting off the charge and propelling the bomb back out.
The first model could only reach a range of 1600 yards, but by strengthening the barrel and increasing the charge the bomb could be launched up to 2800 yards. The improved model was christened the Mark 2 and was pressed into service.
It served with British, Australian, Canadians, South African, New Zealand and Indians mortar units.