Char B1 bis with Panzer B-2(f) Flammwagen option
In 1940, the Char B was the principal medium tank of the French army. Having fought against the Panzers in the Battle of France, the Germans were able to capture a number of Char B tanks after the French capitulation. These captured vehicles were pressed into service by the Germans as training vehicles or for duties behind the frontlines.
In March 1941, an order was placed for a series of flame-thrower tanks making use of the captured Char B-1. The modifications called for the original 7.5cm gun mounted in the hull to be removed and replaced by flame-thrower mounted on a special ball mount.
A special housing was then fitted utilising a driver’s visor for the operator of the flame-thrower and a 30mm armoured tank fitted to the rear of the vehicle where the fuel for the flame-thrower was stored.
During Operational Market Garden the Flammwagen B-2(f) saw action with the 224. Panzerkompanie (224th Panzer Company) assigned to Kampfgruppe von Tettau. They aided the German infantry in their attempts to dislodge the stubborn British Paras defending Arnhem bridge.