BMW and Sidecar (x4)
contains 4 motorcycle combinations
The BMW R75 was an extremely reliable vehicle and had many uses within the Wehrmacht. It was powered by a 746cc 26 horsepower 2-cylinder engine with 4 forward and 1 reverse gears. It could carry 3 men and their equipment and tow light guns and trailers. Over 16,500 R75 were produced between 1940 and 1944.
The model can also be used to represent the earlier R12 and R35 models produced up until 1941.
A very similar looking motorcycle used in very large numbers was the Zündapp KS750 used in the same roles as the R75 and GE400 can also be used to represent it on the tabletop.
Motorcycles were used by messengers, reconnaissance troops, as tow vehicles, and as command vehicles.
During the early war Panzergrenadiers (or Schützen as they were termed then) had a large proportion of motorcycles in their organisation. For example the Schützen Brigade of the 1st Panzer Division in 1939 had one motorcycle company in its first Battalion and the entire 2nd Battalion were mounted on motorcycles.
Later as more Kfz 70 trucks like the Krupp, Steyr and Horsch became available the motorcycle was moved into other roles.
In 1943 the 2nd Reconnaissance Battalion of the 3rd Panzer Division had a motorcycle company, complete with 2 80mm mortars, 4 HMGs, 18 LMGs and 3 PzBu39 2.8cm anti-tank rifles. This was common with reconnaissance battalions in all Panzer divisions.