6 pdr gun (Airborne x2)
Ordnance, Q.F., 6 pdr Mark 2 on Carriage Mark 3
It was decided to equip the British Airborne forces with an anti-tank weapon in 1942, after considering a number of options it was decided to use the new 6 pdr gun. Unfortunately the 6 pdr’s standard carriage was too wide to fit into a glider, a new carriage had to be developed. The new carriage was reduced to fit the 4’6” width of the Horsa glider. The axle was shortened and the front fixed armoured shield was removed and the main shield was modified to fit to the width. The elevation wheel was moved to above the sight. The trail legs were split in half to allow the gun to reduce its length during transportation. These two halves were joined by a socket joint secured by two large bolts. The new carriage was designated the Carriage Mark 3.
The airborne 6 pdr had available HE and Anti-tank ammunition, but didn’t get APDS until 1945.
In Flames Of War
The airborne 6 pdr can be found in the Airlanding Anti-tank Platoon, of which an Airlanding Company can have two and a Parachute Company one.
The 6 pdr is a medium gun and has Range 24”/60cm, ROF 3, AT 10, FP 4+ and is fitted with a gun shield.