SU-122 Assault Gun
In April 1942 several Soviet design bureaus were ordered to design an armoured assault gun mounting 122mm or greater weapon. The most successful design to emerge from this process came from the Uralsky Machine-Building factory, designated the U-35. This design was to go on to become the SU-122, and it was fully adopted, after extensive trials, in December 1942.
The first 25 were manufactured by the end of the year. By March 1943 four regiments were quipped with the SU-122. It was armed with the 122mm M-30 howitzer and the vehicle was based on the chassis of the successful T-34 medium tank. It was crewed by five men, a driver, a gunner (stationed to the left behind the driver), a commander (right front) and the two loaders (the M-30 was loaded with two part ammunition) were behind the howitzer’s breech.
The 122mm gun proved good in both close support work and anti-tank, it’s high explosive round often proving enough to knock out enemy tanks with the shear concussive effect.
SU-122 production continued into the summer of 1944, by that time over 1100 had been made.