Marmon-Herrington Armoured Car (x2)
The South African army ordered armoured cars from Britain in 1938, but supply become difficult with the outbreak of the war, so they started their own production in South Africa.
There armoured car used truck chassis (mainly Ford 3-ton ones) sourced from Canada and conversion kits from the Marmon-Herrington Company, a US company producing tanks and armoured cars.
The result was the Marmon-Herrington Armoured Car.These vehicles soon saw extensive use in the Western Desert by both the South African and British forces.
Five versions were built, all of them 4-wheel drive. They were all fitted with a turret mounting a machine gun and a Boys anti-tank rifle. The final model, though, was fitted with a 2pdr. A 6pdr version was designed but never went into production.
In the field many were modified to carry captured weapons such as the Italian 20mm anti-tank rifle or 47/32 gun and German 3.7cm PaK 36 anti-tank gun or 2.8cm anti-tank rifle.