Produced by Italy and used during World War Two, only a few were made as a replacement for the obsolete Cannone da 149/35 A. A grand total of 51 were actually in service by September 1941. When the Italians surrendered to the Allies in 1943, captured examples were used by the Germans as the 15cm K 408. In fact, the Ansaldo company produced a batch of 12 for the German Army in April 1944.
Considered a good design overall, the fact that the trail spade plates had to be forced into the ground to anchor the gun in place was an unusual one. The gun was able to be broken down into two ‘loads’ for transport, and could be further broken down into four loads for use in mountainous terrain.