Willys MB ¼ ton 4x4 Truck (Commonwealth)
The Willys MB (commonly known as a Jeep or jeep, formally as the US Army Truck, ¼ ton, 4x4) is a four-wheel drive utility vehicle that was manufactured during WW2. It is also one of the first military vehicles mass-produced in the US.
The Willys MB (and Ford GPW) US Army jeep is the culmination of war-time ingenuity, standardization and strategic personalization for transport of personnel and cargo. Soon to become the ubiquitous, “world-famous” jeep, the Willys MB and Ford GPW models were very effective on the ground, with many standardized features such as 6.00x16 tires, 60 horsepower at 4,000 rpm, a gasoline can bracket on the left rear, provisions for trailer lights, spark interference suppression, a blackout light system, twin top bows and sealed spring shackles.
Prior to the production of the MB/GPW, other attempts were made to satisfy the Army’s need for a light utility vehicle including the first prototype presented by the American Bantam Car Company. Nicknamed the “Blitz Buggy”, this vehicle concept which was the first bid accepted by the Army, as it satisfied the Army’s Ordnance Technical Committee specifications. While the “Blitz Buggy” did satisfy these requirements, Bantam was not able to deliver with the fiscal strength or production capability needed to win the contract with the War Department. As a result, Ford and Willys were asked to product their own pilot models for testing, the results of which would determine the contract.
The original pilot models were submitted and named accordingly. The Willys Quad by Willys Overland, the Ford Pygmy by Ford and the BRC60 by Bantam were accepted and orders were given for 1,500 units per company. During these pre-production runs, each vehicle was re-named. The Willys Quad became the “MA”, the Ford Pygmy became the “GP”, and the “BRC60” became the “BRC40”. By July of 1941, the War Department, needing standardization, selected Willys-Overland to fulfill its contract, on account of the MA’s powerful engine, silhouette, low bid, and because of the company’s ability to fulfill production needs, ordering another 16,000 vehicles.
Absorbing some of the design features of the Bantam and Ford entries, the Willys “MA” was then renamed the Willys “MB”, and featured the powerful “Go Devil” engine and a welded flat iron “slat” radiator grille (which was later replaced by a stamped grille in March 1942). By October 1941, due to an increased demand for production, Ford was contracted to assist Willys-Overland and changed their model’s name from “GP” to “GPW”, with the “W” referring to the “Willys” licensed design. During WW2, Ford produced some 280,000 of these vehicles. A total of 361,339 (between Nov 18, 41 and Sep 21, 45) were build.
- Single 1/56 (28mm) scale plastic sprue
- SAS / LRDG / Airborne configurations
- Include Browning M2, Vickers, and Bren MG options
- Four figures included – 2 Airborne & 2 LRDG crew
Number of Parts: 68 pieces / 1 sprue + 2 multi-slide part + 2 figure sprues
Schreiben Sie die erste Kundenrezension!
M8 Scott / M5A1 Stuart
The M5A1 light tank was essentially an M5 with the larger turret first introduced on the M3A3. Production began in early 1943, and a total of 6,810 M5A1s were produced. By June 1944, the US Army had almost most entirely switched to the M5A1. It was also used by the US Marines.
Japanese Bamboo Spear Fighter Squad
As the Second World War progressed, Japanese forces were pushed back from the territorial gains they had made in the early stages of the war.
German Motorcycle R75 with Sidecar (DAK)
In the 1930s, BMW were producing a number of popular and highly effective motorcycles. In 1938 development of the R75 started in response to a request from the German Army. Preproduction models of the R75 were powered by a 750cc side valve engine, which was based on the R71 engine. However it was quickly found necessary to design an all-new OHV 750cc engine for the R75 unit.
Opel Blitz SdKfz 305 3-ton 4x2 Cargo Truck
The Opel Blitz series of 3-ton trucks (designated as SdKfz 305) proved the true backbone of German military strength in World War 2. Production began in Apr 1937 and proceeded into Jul 1944 to which some 70,000 4x2 Opel Blitz trucks were delivered out of German factories.
SdKfz 3a Maultier 2-ton Half-Track Cargo Truck
When the Germans ran into the spring thaw on the Eastern Front they desperately needed more mobile vehicles to provide men and materiel to forward units. One solution was to take reliable wheeled vehicles and modify them to use a tracked drive system.
SdKfz 305 / 3a Expansion Set – Box Body (Einheitskoffer)
One of the variants of the SdKfz 305 Opel Blitz and the SdKfz 3a Maultier was the box body (Einheitskoffer). The design of the Einheitskoffer was identical for all trucks in terms of dimensions, position and number of windows, doors and stowage boxes, and was made of plywood and hard-fibre panels. This design approach offered a wide variety of potential usage.